Congenital Heart Defect Awareness Week
February 7th through 14th is Congenital Heart Defect Awareness Week. During this week, we will all come together to bring awareness to CHDs. But this week is no different from any other week at Children’s Heart Center; we are always focused on providing the very best medical care to children with heart disease. We make it our mission to communicate as best we can with children and their families in an understanding and compassionate way. We work diligently to improve our services by building a team of people who will develop and maintain a quality and service-oriented attitude that will lead the medical community and satisfy our patients.
CHD Awareness Activities at CHC
Social Media (February 2016): This year, during CHD Awareness Week and Heart Month, we will doing something special. Beginning February 7th, visit our Facebook page and help us “Celebrate Our Heart Heroes!”
- Share a picture of your Heart Hero on our Facebook page.
- Include one CHD statistic to help bring awareness to the #1 birth defect in America.
- Include #MyHeartHero and #CHDAwareness in your post.
- AND, change your profile picture using a very special Heart Hero badge here!
Valentine’s Day Themed Bake Sale (February 9th from 10am-1pm): Each year, Children’s Heart Center team members come together to raise money and awareness for CHD. 100% of the proceeds from the Bake Sale go to Children’s Heart Foundation. Everyone is invited to stop by and grab some goodies! Main office- 3006 S. Maryland Pkwy. Suite #455
Walk with the Heart of a Child (February 27th): Each year, Children’s Heart Center forms a team for Children’s Heart Foundation’s Walk with the Heart of a Child held annually at Fashion Show Mall – Las Vegas. We invite everyone to attend this heart-warming event and help us raise money and bring awareness to CHD. Please click here to learn more.
You are much stronger than you think you are. Trust me. ~ Superman
February is Heart Month
When it comes to heart health, you can take charge. Make a pact with yourself to be mindful of healthy habits. Don’t wait, get started TODAY!
Here are 10 Tips that are sure to keep your heart healthy:
- Go Nuts about Nuts! Almost every type of nut has a lot of nutrition packed into a tiny package. Eating nuts can reduce your risk of heart disease by lowering your cholesterol, are a great source of fiber, and are high in heart healthy fats. Go ahead, grab a handful of almonds, walnuts, or pistachios and snack your way to better health! Visit Mayoclinic.org for more.
- Reach for the sky. Stretching has powerful effects on the body. A daily stretch can increase circulation, improve flexibility, and decrease stress levels, all of which lower blood pressure. Stretch at night before bed to help you relax or first thing in the morning to get your body moving. Go to Self.com for a great stretching routine!
- Know your numbers. Your blood offers many clues about your heart health. Get your cholesterol, blood sugars, and other blood tests every few years. If you are over the age of 20 and don’t know your numbers, its time for a check up! For more information on cholesterol tests visit Mayoclinic.org.
- Move more. Exercise is vital to your heart health. Experts recommend at least an hour throughout your day. You don’t need a gym membership to get it done; start by walking, swimming or biking. Prevention.com offers 25 ways to get extra activity into your day.
- Break the fast. You’ve heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Well, that’s because it helps stabilize your blood sugars, prevents you from overeating the rest of the day, and gives you a big boost of energy in the morning. For something quick you can eat on the way out the door, grab a piece of fruit, nuts or a whole grain granola bar. Visit Greatist.com for 34 quick and healthy breakfast ideas.
- Have a cup of tea. Tea is full of antioxidants that aid in heart health, diabetes prevention, lower cancer risk, and even promote brain health. With all of the different varieties of tea, you’re sure to never get bored! If you need even more reasons to sip visit Today.com.
- Hydrate. Drinking enough water each day gives you energy, boosts your mood, keeps your heart and other organs working smoothly, and keeps you feeling full. Swap out your sugar-laden drinks for some refreshing water! Not a big fan of plain water? Visit Shape.com for ideas on how to make your water taste better.
- Find your zen. Meditation has been proven to reduce heart attack and stroke risk. Sit quietly and breathe for 15-20 minutes a day and watch your stress melt away. Learn how at Meditationoasis.com and get started today.
- Visualize. Visualization is a technique that lowers anxiety and stress and allows you to take a mental break from what is worrying you. The practice lowers your heart rate and blood pressure and leaves you feeling calm. Find a quiet place and get started today! Visit Mindtools.com for guided practice.
- Just breathe. Breathing exercises or just taking a few deep breaths can help reduce stress and promote relaxation thanks to an extra boost of oxygen. Deep breathing can be a helpful tool during times of stress and can be incorporated easily into other meditation practices. Visit Stress.org for specific breathing techniques.
A very special thank you to contributor Dr. Beth Creel, PhD.
Children’s Heart Foundation
Walk with the Heart of a Child
Come Walk with Us!
One day. One community. One celebration.
Children’s Heart Foundation is pleased to announce their 13th Annual Walk with the Heart of a Child, a fun walk inside the Fashion Show Mall, will take place Saturday, February 27, 2016. 100% of the proceeds benefit Children’s Heart Foundation.
This is a high-energy celebration including a 3K walk, raffle and Kids Zone at . Walk with the Heart of a Child is about uniting Las Vegas in hope. By participating, you honor children who are survivors and pay tribute to the lives lost to congenital heart defects and raise money to fight it. You won’t want to miss one moment of the community-affirming event. Click here for details.Walk with the Heart of a Child Learn More at www.CHFN.org Join CHF's E-mail List
BIG S HELPING LITTLE S
Mark Your Calendar!
Children’s Heart Center and Children’s Heart Foundation have a lot going on from month to month. Here’s a run down of what’s happening in December.
February 11, 2016
February 12, 2016
Come back every quarter for a new Newsletter from Children’s Heart Center Nevada.